Broader Audience

keets "What was uncomfortable about my previous post was that it implied
Elton John has "sold out" by writing for Disney."

I am thinking he sold out when he agreed to perform with Eminem.

keets "...it wouldn't hurt for The Who to have a few shows playing on
Broadway.  One thing I think ought to fly really well is Lifehouse--the
original, not the Y2K version.  It's full of optimism and idealism, and it
would suit kids (and their parents) very well.  I could also see a Vanpires
spin-off or the current TKAA idea doing well there."

I think all 3 of the pieces you mention are plausible.  I think that going
to Broadway would not necessarily broaden their audience, but exchange the
current audience for another small one.  If they want to broaden, they must
get some film projects going.  Film is the medium with the greatest
potential for a truly broad audience.  Lifehouse is definitely suited for
the big screen.

ML  "Maybe Disney music is OK for kids, and maybe Elton John fits right in
there...but Pete has no business doing Disney at all and Iron Man has songs
better than any Disney movie, a few anyway. It's not really fair to compare
Pete's worst; how about Psychoderelict or White City? Kicks the Lion King's
ass!"

I have been active on this list for about six months now.  This is the first
time that I have the distinct feeling that you are wrong, Mark.  You are
assessing "Lion King" entirely from your point of view.  Comparing
"PshycoDerelict" to "Lion King" is a bit like comparing Shakespeare to Dr
Seuss - the intended audiences make comparison tough.  "Lion King" is
possibly the greatest musical film ever produced with kids in mind.  Quality
music, quality message and flatulence jokes.  Its a great combination.  This
movie reached its intended audience big time.
PsychoD & White City:  Did they reach an audience?  There are some great
songs in both pieces, but neither reached many people. Does Pete really
"just want to be misunderstood".  I think Pete has alot to say, and should
work to get a larger audience.   Disney presents "Lifehouse"?  Of course
not, there are no cute talking animals in the story as it stands anyway.  A
high budget movie version ala "Matrix" with a bare chested sweaty Roger in a
prominent role?  That might be fun :-)

ML "U-Who? Is that what you mean?"

Do you think Pete would like to have the number 1 album in the world, the
biggest selling summer tour in the US, a few Grammys, and kudos from the
critics?  He ain't gonna get it with White City or Psychoderelict.

Jeff