Re: Broader Audience

me "You are assessing "Lion King" entirely from your point of view.

ML "So are you. So does everyone. That's kinda like saying "The sun is up.""

I meant that it is possible to see the quality in something that might not
be to my particular taste.  Mozart was pretty cool, but I don't spend much
time listening to his stuff.

me "PsychoD & White City:  Did they reach an audience?"

ML "Does it matter? We aren't going to get into the "popularity as a
standard of quality" argument"

Not with me.  My point is that when an artist targets an audience and
intends provoke a particular reaction, their success or failure to reach the
audience in the way they intended is a measure of their abilities as an
artist.

If I write a post to this list with the specific intention of drawing out a
particular person in a discussion, one measure of the quality of my post is
whether it had the desired effect :-)

Similarly, if Pete wanted to piss off some critics and manager-types by
recording and releasing Psychoderelict, he may have been successful.  If he
wanted to sell a zillion discs and sell out many sheds while touring the
material, then he was not particularly successful.  That's not to say that
the material was not of high quality, but it may or may not have been
successful.

By the way, I like "Little Mermaid" too, good songs but unoriginal story.  I
met her a few weeks ago, you know.  Man - what a babe!

Jeff