Re: Mastering and slavery

>The boy fell from a window that the housekeeper had left open.
>Clapton's girlfriend (and Conor's mother) and the housekeeper were in the
>other room.  Clapton wasn't even there.  So even if they're held
>accountable...now Clapton is re-married and you're saying that
>because of that incident, the "Clapton household shouldn't be trusted with
>small children?"  Isn't that putting a strike against Clapton and his wife
>for no reason?

I didn't say it, Scott did--or rather implied it.  But there are various
ways you could trace blame back to Clapton, once you think about it.

I seem to recall thinking at the time that they should have taken a little
more care.  What was the boy doing climbing into a position where he could
fall though an open window in a high rise apartment building?  A child could
fall through a closed glass window and get hurt, as well.  Bunches of kids
drown in residential pools every year.  HRS always investigates cases where
children die in accidents to determine if neglect was involved--caregivers
are expected to exercise due care.  Because Clapton is a talented and well
known musician doesn't release him from this same kind of responsiblity.  If
he wasn't present, still he had deferred to those who were watching the boy
at the time.

Clearly Clapton wasn't directly responsible, and just as clearly he was
devastated by the accident.  I've never held it against him, but I wasn't
offended that Scott seemed to.  Scott is entitled to a point of view in the
matter.

keets