Re: TO: Nicole regarding the Beatles

i'm not nicole but..

first of all, "sgt. pepper" came out in 1967, "tommy" came out in 1969.
the beatles were groundbreaking because they basically went commercial
backwards, doing pop songs like "i wanna hold your hand" in 1964 and then
"not so pop" songs like "i am the walrus" in 1967. the 60's and all were
dragging along and the beatles dragged along with it and they managed to put
out some of the greatest music from that era and doing things in the studio
that other bands werent doing before.    i wish some people would get their
facts straight. but however, they say that they were inspired by the beach
boys' "pet sounds" and bob dylan to do that kind of music. like always,
inspiration has to come from somewhere.
the who went commercial after "tommy", plain and simple. i'm not saying that
they weren't good in the 70's, they were, but in the 60's they were basically
a punk band before the term "punk" could be considered as a type of music. in
the 70's they became one of those rock bands like led zeppelin and Queen who
were swimming in the "sex, drugs and rock n' roll" excess, especially keith
(God rest his soul). the beatles thankfully broke up before the 70's would
come around.
and by the way, if it wasnt for the who, there wouldnt be a hard rock or
heavy metal, neither would there be a led zeppelin or a jimi hendrix AND
there wouldnt be a punk rock. THAT'S where the who were groundbreaking in my
eyes and let's not forget that they were the first to use synthesizers
throughout a whole rock album ("who's next").
they are in my opinion the greatest HARD rock band ever. the beatles are the
greatest ROCK band ever.  I rest my case.