to: Joseph about the Beatles

Of course, the Beatles were incredible, but all their music is so similar.
The Beatles songs I think are best are the few that feature a different sound
from the strawberry fields, penny lane, yellow submarine genre that dominated
their work- such as paperback writer and back in the ussr.  Put it this way-
how much different did the Beatles music sound from the start of their run
till the end?  And one album does not make a band a risk taker (White Album).
Discount crap like I am the walrus, because that was just bad music, period.
The who and townshend continued to push the envelope musically while the
Beatles did their pushing lyrically.  The Beatles wouldn't have gone 100
miles near something like Tommy because it was major risk of popularity.  The
Beatles were much more about staying popular than about taking chances with
their music, and there is nothing wrong with that.  The Beatles are Mozart-
everything they did was perfect, but the Who is Beethoven- great music with
an edge to it.  I respect a band more when they lay everything on the line
for their music.