Re: Complete list of PT mp3s?

>The early concert was uneven, with obvious mistakes, but very engaging.  In
>retrospect, it seems the most charming and artistic of the shows, much more
>relaxed and blusey than the later efforts, with lots of variation in style
>between the songs.  I believe I mentioned that by the time they got to the
>third leg they sounded like a
freight train.  Tampa and Atlanta were relentless.  ICE started off
with a steady, pounding beat and they continued like that right on to the
end. They still made errors, but recovery was so smooth that nobody could
quite pin them down.  I think most people referred to these shows as
"tight," and they were, but I thought they were less interesting.

I've been thinking about the definition of "tight" after writing this.  Pete
said something in his diaries about the early shows being "sloppy," and now
I'm wondering exactly what everybody means by the terms.

I had assumed that tight vs. sloppy had to do with the correctness of the
performance, say how well everybody stays together, makes the key changes,
remembers the lyrics and so on.  But now I'm wondering if it has to do with
the band producing that freight train effect.  Is that what "tight" means as
far as The Who is concerned?  Establishing an energy at the beginning and
building it up to a climax with no breaks?

I did really enjoy that early show--Boston, in case anybody's wondering.  It
had some really atmospheric solo effects where Pete played against John and
Zak's wall of sound (Pete doesn't contribute to that like he used to,
right?).  There had to be a break in the build-up for it to happen, though,
a certain relaxation in their approach.  MSG blew me away with the opposite
effect.  They thundered along and became just unbelievably complex.

Comments?  Somebody tell me what "tight" means.

keets