Re: Rock is dead, I say

>What, do you think it was contagious?  ;)

Keets:

I can't explain it any better. It's just like what Howard Stern said when
asked if he'd have sex with Robin Givens, former wife of Mike Tyson: "I
don't think I want to swim in that pool."

>says he has no interest in writing rock songs.  Listen to the music on his
>solo albums after CHINESE EYES and you notice that it's not rock music.

I don't know what you mean here. If English Boy, for instance, isn't
Rock...I don't know what it is.

>well i like Kiss..they are very devoted to their fans like the who

Patricia:

Whenever I think about Kiss, I wonder how many times they can get away with
repeating "I want to RnR all night/And party every day..." in one three
minute song. Too many, IMHO.
My thinking on the band is the same as with other such bands: The Who didn't
need all the extra stuff to be entertaining, they just went on stage and
played and were considered the greatest live act in history. If a band needs
to spit blood or fire, then there must be something lacking with the music.

>Frankly, I don't understand these "its all been done before, so rock is
>dead" arguments.  Take a look at the blues.

Phil:

OK. What innovations have come from the Blues in the last 60 years? And by
the same token, what innovations have come from Rock since the 70's? That's
when the first recycle occurred (50's craze, particularly Rockabilly). And
combining Rock with something else doesn't count, because it's not new
ground.

>blues was over with around 1930, yet I still enjoy B.B. King, Muddy
>Waters, Stevie Ray Vaughn (sp?).

Vaughan, actually. SRV is a particular pet peeve, because as good a
performer as he was he never did anything Hendrix hadn't done better. Don't
even get me started about Shepherd or Lang!
It's not that I don't love Rock and Blues, and Reggae and Jazz and so on,
but that doesn't mean there's anything going on there but recycling.

>The same thing goes for all the "they should retire" arguments.

I never said they should retire, but I'd sure like to see some innovative
material from Townshend because I know he's still got it in him.

>Nobody expects Muddy Waters

My favorite Blues artist, BTW.

>Once rock became commercialized, it was marketed solely as a "young
>person's phenomenon", so the Madison Avenue machine has inculcated
>within us all this idea that it has to be for "kids" only.

But remember, even Pete Townshend bought into this thinking, and the reason
he was constantly in termoil (hopefully resolved now) is that he felt he
needed to bring it to an adult level but it cannot be done.

>Naaah, I think would be too

Bjorn:

I agree with you; no one will be able to do Louie Louie (Animal House
soundtrack) better than John Belushi anyway.

>I gotta admit that the studio version of this song never did much for
>me, but the live version from Kids and now the new live version from
>BTTB really get my knees a bouncin!

Phil:

I think My Wife is the best song on BTTB.

    Cheers          ML