Re: Rock is dead, I say

Mark R. Leaman wrote:

> I never said they should retire, but I'd sure like to see some innovative
> material from Townshend because I know he's still got it in him.

But if Rock can no longer be innovative as you say (and I'd agree), how
can he?  I think he can do great work still but it will be derivative.
It's just as someone could now write a great Beethoven-style symphony or
play a great Charlie Parker-style be-bop jazz riff.  Its quality as a
work of art really doesn't depend on it having been done before.

> But remember, even Pete Townshend bought into this thinking, and the reason
> he was constantly in turmoil (hopefully resolved now) is that he felt he
> needed to bring it to an adult level but it cannot be done.

And that's exactly what Roger says he wants Pete to do with his writing
for the new album; i.e., create hard-driving rock for middle-aged
people.  I think it's true that if The Who's art can be said to have
asked anything, it was "why can't Rock music be for life, not just your
teens?"  Even now, I don't think that answer's been settled.  All I hear
out there are prejudices against "adult" rock, calling it
"pretentious".  And we know what Pete thinks about that!

                -Brian in Atlanta
                 The Who This Month!
                 http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm