Roger 'Flat,' and chord progressions

Regarding accusations that Roger is sometimes flat,
Derick wrote:

>Not sure that I can agree with this, perhaps a
>little here and there.

I certainly didn't agree with my friend about Roger
being flat.  I've never perceived that.  Not only is
Roger my favorite studio vocalist, but I've always
been impressed with how few bum notes he sings live,
year in and year out.

>It all depends on what you're listening to, and to
>some degree on what!  I think to this day Roger
>gets a bit of a raw deal the way His vocals are
>mixed. Especially LIVE !  Sometimes you simply
>can't hear Him at all. His vocals need to be
>brought forward just a little more in the mix
>and an occasisional echo or reverb mixed in makes
>Him sound a whole lot better. Wether live or studio,
>most singers do need a little help here and there.

This reminds me of another friend, a woman I knew
early in my college days, who indicated mild
disapproval when I mentioned that I was becoming a
huge Who fan.  I think her only "objection" was that
Roger had a distinct voice!

>>So I could've shot back with "You're just not
>>a sophisticated listener!"?   : )

And keets replied:

> Right!  It took me a while to figure out why it
> sounded so strange.  It never resolves like most
> music does, either, resolution being the move
> from the five seven chord back to one--something
> else that's generally disturbing to listeners.
> Pete's always been insistent that people listen to
> his music, and these little sophistications
> arrived fairly early to ensure just that.  I do
> believe I recall reading that it was actually
> John Entwistle who first used the 5-4-1-5 chord
> progression in writing music for The Who.

So in addition to powerful playing & singing and great
lyrics, we've got an unconventional drummer, an
unconventional bass player, and music composition that
departs from the norm?  No wonder I worship this
band!!

Rich B.