Re: Many & Varied

In article <393F8DE9.4D992FA4@ieee.org>,
    Marc/Carolyn Hurwitz <hurwitz@ieee.org>  writes:

> Last comment, and I'll probably wish I'd kept my mouth shut, but:  Does
> anyone else think BTTB is a disappointment?

No, but I was there at the HOB shows.  These discs capture the feeling
of those shows as best it could be captured without being there.

> I was going to order it but
> listened to the samples first, and was really let down.

I didn't bother listening to the samples.

> The playing was
> fine, but some of Roger's vocals sounded strained,

He sounds good on "After the Fire" which has some bits in it that
would test anyone's voice.

> the harmonies were
> awful (sorry, Pete & John),

I don't think they try and hit those harmonies like they were 19
anymore.  Many times on bootlegs and such they blow off the backup
vocals altogether and just concentrate on the playing of their
instruments.  Call it laziness if you want, but I know its easy to dub
in those backing vocals in the studio and difficult to get them right
*and* play your instrument at the same time.

> and the quality of the recording was similar
> to a cardboard box.

If you don't have the disc, how can you judge this?  Are you trying to
judge the quality of the disc from a little sound bite you downloaded
over the internet and played on your computer?  This is an unfair
comparison because most "multimedia" speaker systems sound like shit
and the samples are probably encoded with loss to make them quick to
download.

> I decided not to buy it, because Leeds is so much
> better in comparison.

If your criteria is that everything *must* sound as good as Leeds or
you're not going to bother, you might as well not bother with:

    - Additional live tracks on the remasters
    - Isle of Wight
    - Kids Are Alright soundtrack
    - any bootleg
    - Pete's live 2CD set at HOB
    - Deep End Live
    - John's Left for Live CD

I'm sorry, I just don't see the point of comparing everything to Leeds
and saying "Well, it stinks because its not as good as Leeds".
--
<http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/>	Legalize Adulthood!
    ``Ain't it funny that they all fire the pistol,