Lifehouse Method vs. Chronicle

Hi all,

Today I got in the mail from England the script to "Lifehouse" (1999) along
with the BBC cassettes.  If you want them go to www.amazon.co.uk.  They do
ship direct to the U.S.

Of the two, I'd say the script, not the tapes, are the necessary item.  It
is possible to understand the work (somewhat) with the book without the
tapes but almost impossible to understand the tapes without the book (sorry
Pete and co-author Jeff Young, but it's really not).  In addition the audio
version of the play (both on tapes and on radio) is cut quite a bit from the
longer book script.  And although you will get a copy of the audio version
in both the Lifehouse Method and Lifehouse Chronicles CD's, you won't get
the book of the script.  The book also has a 19-page essay by Pete on the
history of Lifehouse with detailed summations of the plot of the 1971
Lifehouse, Psychoderelict and what the hell is going on in the 1999 play.

There is also this description by Pete of what is going to be contained in
the "Lifehouse Method" as opposed to the much cheaper "Lifehouse Chronicles"
so, since so many have been asking about it, I thought I'd transcribe:

"This is an excerpt from the brief I am giving to my software designers.

BRIEF FOR THE METHOD

-  The 'Method' package will offer access to music generation software.

-  Each 'Method' package will contain a signed, certificate from me with a
unique code.

-  This code will unlock a deeper area of software.

-  The software should be available in all computer formats and can be
distributed and 'shared', used without the code.

-  The code, when entered, will bring up a specific data-entry page which
will lead the user through a process that produces a one-off, unique piece
of music, that contains a unique lyric generated by lyric motifs written by
me.

-  Users of the 'Method' can take their completed unique composition to the
Pete Townshend web-site, and expect to have their music developed further as
the software is deepened.  This process might unfold over a period of months
or years.

-  The end-aim is that many buyers of the 'Method' will attend a concert in
future at which their piece of music is 'premiered' and contraputally or
fractally combined with other pieces.

-  Attendance at this concert is guaranteed and free to every purchaser of
the 'Method' package whether they take part in the experiment of not.

So, I still have this crazy urge to make the fiction real.  Sadly, this
particular package will not be cheap.  It contains four hours of music --
the entire play as broadcast by the BBC -- and is lavishly packaged.  It
also contains the guaranteed concert ticket and my promise that the buyer
will be treated there like a V.I.P.  But if you don't wish to come to my
Lifehouse party, or enjoy the fine art of 'The Method', you can buy the
cheaper 'Chronicles'.  You can enjoy the story, the story behind the story,
and wait for the next chapter, which I hope will be some down-to-earth
concerts, possibly a Broadway musical (most likely based on Psychoderelict)
and perhaps a feature film.  Of course my next chapter should really be an
air-conditioned motor-caravan on its way South, but I am enjoying my work
too much at present to take a holiday."  - Pete Townshend Oct. 8, 1999.

        - Brian in Atlanta