Re: Take A Little Dope.......

> > My final thoughts on the matter & no more :  Before seeing the lyrics in
> > print,
> > I assumed the meaning was "when you cover up YOU ARE nuts."  After
> > seeing the lyrics (& discovering pot !), I subscribe to Alan's theory
> > regarding
> > sexual suppression.  Enough !
> > - - SCHRADE in Akron
> 	[O'Neal, Kevin W.]  OK, you can't get away that easily!!!   What the
> H. does pot have to do with understanding sexual suppression!!??!! :)

I was unclear.  Pot (IMO) can......how can I put this?.......pot can sometimes
enable a person to see another side or perspective of a once firmly held
belief or idea.  Mind you, you don't discard your old views, you just understand
them better in the newly focused context.  How's that?  Too vague?

 Anyway, with that in mind, understanding sexual suppression *within the context
of "Naked Eye"* became easier.  I don't, however, think there is a link between
the two (pot & sexual suppression).

Also, Pete can be, at times, crude or even vulgar; so for him to mention his "nuts"
in a song is not beyond the bounds of reality.  And sexual issues in songs are cer-
tainly not skimped upon by Mr. Townshend  (Pictures Of Lily, And I Moved, I'm
A Boy, Dreaming From The Waist, etc.).  So why shouldn't Pete cover up his nuts?
Cover 'em up, Pete !!

Actually, the last stanza of the song has always been my favorite ("You hold the
gun & I hold the wound.......").  It finally verges on "religious" with the line "There's
only one who can really move us all."  Pete's admition of a higher power?  Or is
Pete, himself, the one (i.e. "I'm One")?

I said before that The WHO had a certain literary richness to their songs.  This is
what I meant.  What wonderful writing.  Very deep indeed.

- SCHRADE in Akron