Van Pires Lyrics / Review

Hi,

I hope Alan doesn't mind, but I searched around on his site and found the
Van Pires lyrics at:

http://www.johnentwistle.com/merch/Van-Pires/vplyrics.html

Interesting is that some lyrics vary from the boot copy I got... Very
interesting... Just small changes, but it makes me think it might be
version #4. ;-)

And this is also interesting:

---
Bogey Man
Entwistle (c) 1978

Back On The Road
Entwistle (c) 1979
---

So he was working on these songs in '78? Where these intended for "Too Late
The Hero"? This also proves John's demo's are well-kept secrets! But the
results are beautifull!
But I don't mind not knowing of any John demo's; I wouldn't get my hands on
them anyway; they are not *intended* for ANY release.

There's only one song that John didn't write or co-write and that's:

---
When You See The Light
Luongo
Copyright 1994 Bitsa Talent Inc.
---

Songs that John sings are:
* Darker Side Of Night (his favourite BTW)
* Bogey Man (with Keith drumming)
* Back On The Road
* Left For Dead
* Endless Vacation

Doesn't seem like a lot, but... I myself started on collecting solo stuff
because these guys where members of The Who. When I finally got Van Pires,
I was afraid it would be like "The Rock"; less Entwistle. I didn't really
notice that on this album. It's really strong. And I like it not because of
John, but because of the whole band. And the whole album. My favourite song
is "Face The Fear"; play it loud; I love the raging guitars and the heavy,
strong power piano chords; yet they are very light. The keyboard work is
amazing on this album. John's bass playing is (as usual) very good; he
plays nice tracks on each song. Instrumentally, this album stands. Full of
musical "jokes" (like insertion of "007 theme" by John on his buzzard as a
mini-solo within "Left For Dead", and stuff like that).
This album stands. It's one album. The album displays a band; not just
John; and it is not dissatisfying to any John/Who fan. This is *really*
John stuff; these are songs that we like of John. They are rough; hard and
heavy. The vocals (IMO) are all excellent; the bands harmony is excellent.
I like their style; it's simple. No show-offs. This album is very complete.
I'd love to hear more stuff coming out of this band.

Please not that I don't have the official album yet. ;-) I've ordered it
though.

Cheers,

Bjorn Ciggaar
http://www.warande.net/~ciggaar

Yeah, yeah! This is the Dutch contingent again?
"After Ze Fire", I hear the accent. I can't see you there
- Pete Townshend (23-12-1999, Shepherds Bush Empire)