Albuquerque

Set list: order of songs may be off - but the content and encores are
correct.

I Can't Explain, Substitute, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, I Don't Even Know
Myself, My Wife, Baba O' Riley, Bargain, Getting in Tune, Naked Eye,
Drowned, Pinball Wizard, The Real Me, You Better You Bet, Who Are You,
Behind Blue Eyes, 5:15, Won't Get Fooled Again

Encores: The Kid's Are Alright, Let's See Action, My Generation

I was so overwhelmed with happiness after watching Pete, Roger, John, Zak,
and Rabbit conclude a simply wonderful show. The band appeared to be in
good spirits, which seems to be consistent with most of the reviews from
the tour and my experience from seeing them in San Diego. I paid the price
of the band cancelling their show in Phoenix, by having to go out of state.
I couldn't decide whether to go to CA or NM - so I went to both. I luckily
scored a front row seat in NM off to Pete's side.

While the sound was loud, it was much clearer than San Diego's Sport's
Arena. Roger was in fine shape, singing well - even though he commented
that it is tough to sing outdoors in the desert. Pete's voice was strong
and clear - much better than San Diego. The weather was beautiful, a nice
evening in the 70's and the venue was an amphitheatre on the outskirts of
town. From what I understand the place just opened up this summer. Mesa Del
Sol is a smaller version of Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, CA and
Desert Sky Pavillion here in Phoenix, AZ (but there is no roof over the
seats). The place was probably close to 3/4 + filled up. Roger commented on
the "rows" that existed on the lawn, Pete said they were empty seats. It
seemed to me  they were alleys established to walk back and forth through
the crowd (who knows).

Pete again blistered on the guitar lifting the jams on AAA, My Wife,
Bargain, Getting in Tune, Naked Eye, and My Generation to ultimate "Who"
heaven. These portions of the show are what set this tour apart from the
last 20 years of The Who or Pete Townshend playing live -  making this tour
a must see for those fans longing to hear the band or Pete "PLAY."
Personally, the highlight for me was Naked Eye - this song more than any, I
wanted to hear - and they didn't disappoint. It was odd hearing it in the
middle of the set though - it always feels like an encore. Getting in Tune
was nice to hear since they didn't play it in San Diego. John and Zak were
rock solid, although it was a little harder to hear John at the opposite
side of the stage. John's solo during 5:15, as usual, was spectacular.
Roger again needed the lyrics for Let's See Action at the bottom  of the
stage - I love this song and it is great to hear them play it - I know how
Roger feels, I can never remember the words either.

The Kid's Are Alright, a highlight of improvisation in San Diego seemed to
falter a bit here, but it was still great to here a 3 minute diddy
stretched out like the band can only do. You Better You Bet and Pinball
Wizard are songs that are included in the set for obvious reasons - more
people want to hear 'em than don't want to hear 'em. So, I can't hardly
complain - they are crucial components of their history, but I could do
without them. My Generation kicked some serious butt - both here and at San
Diego, the band was able to squeeze the last amount of energy to make this
old song so fresh. It is amazing for the 1000s of times they have played
this song, they can still get in that groove to make this and its
associated jam work. Maybe they can only do it for the jam - regardless -
it works...well.

Merchadise was plentiful - T-shirts (30.00), buttons (5.00), etc. I thought
the "Who's Zoo" was the best designed shirt  - the others were typical
album cover reproductions, with exception to the Whodirect art (which is a
little cheesy). The program (20.00) is done very well, on very heavy stock
paper and great photos from Quad and Shepherd's Bush. The best program
they've had yet, in my opinion, but similar to previous tours, in that it
contains collections of old memorabilia and news articles.  A poster of
John's art with close-ups of each members head drawn by John can be
purchased for 20.00. It is also autographed by John (this seemed to be the
most unique item offered).

Pete seemed tired at the end of the show, and no wonder. He (and Roger)
were very athletic in their performances. At the end of WGFA you could see
that "I'm beat" look on Pete's face. But lets be very clear - these guys
are not ambarrassing themselves on stage. They are fluid athletic
performers, clearly beginning the second half of life, but are performers
none the less. They struck a fine balance between the energy of the music,
presentation of the music, and "acting" their age. If this is the Who's
last hurrah as a live act "as we have come to know them" then they have
celebrated their history well. Let us hope that whatever the future brings,
the Who can start fresh again in writing material for "their generation"
and us, like the band, can embrace them today and not compare them to their
past.  If it is time to move forward, for the Who and their fans, this was
a great place to start.

Greg