performers & artists

Keets,
RE: "Is all performance real art, though?  I gather the guy on O&S was
making a distinction regarding creativity.  For example, are musicians who
play in an its-a-job, workmanlike manner to be considered artists?  Do they
need flair?  Fire and passion?  Do they need to have written the lyrics so
they believe in them?"

This is a *GREAT* topic as food for thought for those fortunate souls going
to the shows in the next few weeks.  I encourage all of you to post your
impressions.

What is it that makes The Who the greatest performing rock act ever?

IMHO - Musicians who play in the workmanlike manner you describe are still
artists.  They may not be as creative by simply trying to recreate the
recordings on stage, but they are still creating music (art).  I prefer that
they exhibit flair, fire, passion, creativity, jams, etc.  That is why I
love this band in particular on this tour and on BTTB.  The live Who moments
I love the most are when they are dancing, noodling and stomping on, around,
through, and over the melodic and rhythmic lines in Pete's (and John's)
brilliant songs.   In particular I liked Magic Bus, My Wife, 5:15, Real Me.
Of course, someone has to keep their mind and instrument on the melodic and
rhythmic center to keep the performance from turning into a sloppy mess.  By
taking these risks, they sometimes screw up.  I think that is a risk worth
taking.  BTW, it helps to hear these things if you have proper amounts of
alcohol/adrenaline/THC in your brain.

And now for something completely different:
I have first hand knowledge that the Ticketmaster/MSG AMEX-only restriction
was not a real restriction at all.

I ordered my ticket online with my VISA, and see today that my ticket was
printed and mailed yesterday.  Oh, what a rebel I am :>)  Maybe the 7:30
restriction is bullshit, too.

This does mean that I can comfortably read all of the wonderfully subjective
experiences from you folks for the upcoming shows, with the knowledge that I
will have my chance to see them again on Oct 4.  Its a long train ride from
Boston to Penn Station, but I am pshyched.

A bi-partisan fan
Jeff