To: <TheWho-Digest@igtc.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2000 3:53 AM
Subject: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #205

> The Who Mailing List Digest
>   Saturday, August 5 2000  Volume 07 : Number 205
>

> In this issue:
>
> Re: MSG being a weird place + things
> You want a drink? I'm having one!
> Re: You want a drink? I'm having one!
> Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #204
> The WHO and MSG
> Re: Who bumper stickers
> MSG
> Screaming bloody murder; Duh-Bya; Apples & Oranges
> RE: GoldmineassholesgivingBushahighcholonicwithMSG
> Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #204
> I LOOOOVE MSG!!!
> Do You Need Top-notch Seats for Shoreline & Sacramento???

> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:44:54 +0200
> From: Bjorn Ciggaar <ciggaar@warande.net>
> Subject: Re: MSG being a weird place + things
>
> At 09:31 3-8-00 -0400, George wrote:
> >Bjorn:
> >
> >You have never been to the Garden so what makes you think it is a weird
> >place???
>
> I said "I think", not "it is". It's just what I "think" in hearing all
this
> shit going around. This ain't ROCK & ROLL any more... This is corporate
> shit. Makes me laugh! :-)
>
> >Its actually a pretty normal place, its also one of the worlds most
famous
> >arenas. I am sure you know that though.
>
> I wasn't mentioning "wierd" as like the laws of gravity do not apply there
> or like the whole building is orange and purple.
>
> >But anyway, I am going to these 2 October shows and I *WILL* be sitting
up
> >front in the first 10 rows for both.
>
> What makes you so sure? Did you get broker tickets?
>
> >Always remember, If you know how to work the move and you can think
positive
> >you can get a seat anywhere you want. I always do. Don't let the amex
thing
> >and the 7:30 thing get you down. The hell with that shit.
>
> They won't; they make me laugh; whooohahahahaaaa! I LOVE IT!
>
> >I also really, really, really think they will add 2 more dates, my guess
is
> >going to be the 6th and 7th. Friday and Saturday. I will put money on
> >this....
>
> Not mine, I'm going for 2 GA shows in Glasgow! :-) (heard the crowd out
> there would be great!!!)
>
> >Trust me The Who at the Garden will be like no other.
>
> Still think I would like Glasgow even better; they do 2 shows there... For
> $50 you get GA and a concert with thousands of people that know who the
> fuck they're looking at. :-)
>
> >As Pete has said before NYC is his home away from home.
>
> That's why I like Shepherds Bush so much... It's home!!! :-) I know Pete
> likes NYC, I like it too; just not for a WHO gig (from what I experienced
> at Jones Beach). Things are too corporate. I still hate brokers and the
VIP
> office is actually a want-to-be brokers office (which sadly, they aren't).
>
> >4 more days till the fun begins..AGAIN
>
> 13 more days untill VAN PIRES!!!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bjorn Ciggaar
> http://www.warande.net/~ciggaar
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:08:09 -0700
> From: "Cory Anderson" <coryndenise@earthlink.net>
> Subject: You want a drink? I'm having one!
>
> Going to the Irvine show?  Magik wrote me to ask for suggestions on a
> pre-concert watering hole. After ruling out Capt'n Creams, we're thinking
> Laguna Hills Mall area (Split Rock Tavern, Gordon Biersch, or maybe
> Fuddruckers?) or maybe the Irvine spectrum.  Although I'm 30 miles inland,
> I'll be happy to field suggestions and try to help as many of us get
> together as possible. Send me your suggestions or just drop me a line to
be
> included.
> Cory in CA
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:36:17 -0700
> From: "Kimberly Thompson" <lomara@earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: You want a drink? I'm having one!
>
> > Going to the Irvine show?  Magik wrote me to ask for suggestions on a
> > pre-concert watering hole. After ruling out Capt'n Creams, we're
thinking
> > Laguna Hills Mall area (Split Rock Tavern, Gordon Biersch, or maybe
> > Fuddruckers?) or maybe the Irvine spectrum.  Although I'm 30 miles
inland,
> > I'll be happy to field suggestions and try to help as many of us get
> > together as possible. Send me your suggestions or just drop me a line to
> be
> > included.
> > Cory in CA
> >

> There is a Dave & Busters in the Irvine Spectrum.  I was told it's a
> bar/restaurant with video games - kind of an adult playground.  I won't be
> able to attend any pre-show parties because I am working the day of the
> show.  I've been to the Gordon Biersch (brewery/restaurant) in Orange - I
> liked that place.  Tasty appetizers :)

> Does anyone know where I can buy one of the white oval bumper stickers
containing tyhe letters "WHO" or "PT"
> ??
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 13:25:29 GMT
> From: "gern blanston" <gernblanston67@hotmail.com>
> Subject: The WHO and MSG
>
> I've always felt that MSG was a special place to see a show. It's
legendary,
> but at the same you really need to see an act there that lives up to the
> status. It just isn't cool to say, "I saw Buffett at the Garden (or
anywhere
> else, for that matter)." I think there are essentially 4 acts that sound
> cool when you say you saw them at the Garden: Who, Stones, Springsteen,
> Dead.
>
> BTW, speaking of the Garden, I just heard a bit of the boot "Cats in the
> Cupboard," a really  fucked-up disc of one of the '79 shows there. Does
> anyone out there have a really good boot of a 79 Garden show (preferrably
> this one?) that they'd be willing to copy?
>
> - -gern
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:34:19 -0400
> From: Brian Cady <cadyb@home.com>
> Subject: Re: Who bumper stickers
>
> Jim Yattaw wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know where I can buy one of the white oval bumper stickers
containing tyhe letters "WHO" or "PT"
> > ??
>
> Go to:
> http://www.thewho.org/
>
> Tell Joe that Brian sent you.  I didn't get one of those, but I did get
> one of lovely "Zoot Suit" mouse pads.
>
>         -Brian in Atlanta
>          The Who This Month!
>          http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:44:18 EDT
> From: Pilam76@aol.com
> Subject: MSG
>
> the who always play well at the garden b/c they sell the place out in 5
minutes and the crowd is great...in 79 and 96 they played 6 shows in 6
nights and sold em all out..in 79 the 60 second radio spot sold out msg...in
82 at shea they sold 72000 tickets in 2 hrs...it is the power ny has over
them

> [...]
>
> I understand why they feel this way, and also realize that it's a
> simplistic, non-business viewpoint since it doesn't take into account the
> number of bands the labels lose money on for each one which makes money.
> Etc. How much is the rent on their buildings, and their electric/phone
> bills, traveling expenses, cost of the machines to create the CDs, and
> salaries? Ever consider such obvious things as this...or only that the CD
> costs this and sells for that? All this stuff has to be paid for, you
know.
> And it's still not the answer to: how is ripping off both the label AND
the
> artist justified by feeling ripped off by the label?
>
> >CDs first came out the labels have been promising that the price would
> >come down and it hasn't come down one bit.
>
> You have a point, but as they were $15 when they came out and $18 now,
> realistically that's not much of an increase for 18 years...18 years which
> saw increases in almost every other price. And there are plenty of "Best
> Value" CDs for $10-11 all over the place. Wal-Mart sells them for $13.
>
> >people would rather use napster than shell out $17 for a new CD.  Why
> >is this a big surprise?
>
> I understand it, but don't see why anyone can justify it if they really
want
> new music and bands. In the end, it looks like mere selfishness.
>
> > To me its a blatantly obvious reaction to the years of price gouging.
>
> Please explain the gouging. And remember to take into account each and
every
> expense the label has to lay out per artist. A simple rattling off of
"They
> cost less than a dollar to make" is far too superficial.
>
> > The record companies got theirs, now its the consumer's turn.
>
> Selfishness. And what do the artists get, in the meantime? Screwed and not
> even kissed.
>
> > They don't see it as "stealing from artists", they
> >see it as stealing from the record companies.
>
> How stupid is that, I have to ask? I think they don't want to see it for
> what it really is. They just want free music and damn the consequences.
> And what about the $14 million a year Napster is making? How does anyone
> justify THAT? Let's rip THEM off, how `bout it?
>
> > The artists don't
> >interact with the public at all except in the content of their work.
>
> They are doing this to earn a living, and I can't see a reason to deny
them
> this.
>
> >Would people be so interested in napster now if the record companies
> >had passed along the savings from mass production to the consumer so
>
> What savings are you talking about, exactly? Remember to include the
factors
> mentioned above.
>
> >that a brand new CD cost something like $5 instead of $17?
>
> Who are these people to tell labels how much they're allowed to make?
Would
> you like someone to decide you are making too much money and have to take
> pay cut? You'd scream bloody murder!
>
> > I'd be pissed if
> >someone took an invention of mine and gave it away.....for money or "the
> >common good of society" , it doesn't matter.
>
> Kevin:
>
> Extremely well put!
>
> >The sigs are fine, and meant to be funny.  Join in the spirit,
>
> Jill:
>
> Exactly. Thank you for seeing this.
>
> >Bush....ahh, the end of civilization,  with a WHO soundtrack....
>
> I'm still singing It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel
Fine).

> >gives no source or the context in which they were said?
>
> Dan:
>
> They were taken from the afore-mentioned Doonesbury cartoon, all real
Dubya
> [...]
do.
> The Who did.
>
> >BTW, 78% of the people who have downloaded Stephen King's latest
> >on-line work have paid for it on the honor system.
>
> Of the 13 million people who have downloaded music, only 2 million have
paid
> for it. Apples and oranges.
>
> >that someone who is intelligent can use the technology to advance
> >their careers.
>
> Well, now, I never said Metallica was intelligent...
>
> >either Bush or Gore, but let's face it, Bush ain't the sharpest knife in
> the
> >drawer.
>
> Jon:
>
> Well put. Unforntunately, this is a race between Beta males. But like any
> reasonable individual, I don't want the economy to be screwed by
thoughtless
> tax cuts and superficial retoric, by a hypocrite who is the champion of a
> party which wrongly believes they know what's best for us all.
>

> "In the end, to what end."
>            George W. Bush, Presidential candidate
>

>         Cheers                 ML
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 11:05:20 -0400
> From: "O'Neal, Kevin W." <Kevin.ONeal@vtmednet.org>
> Subject: RE: GoldmineassholesgivingBushahighcholonicwithMSG
>
> Thanks Brian for the insight into Goldmine Mag..
> They definitely lose their credibility with such inaccurate
> statements (Who Came First vs. Who's Next) followed by their own
subjective
> opinion.
> Opinions *are* like assholes, in that everyone *does* have one, but
> it's the inaccurate assholes that you just want to give a high cholonic
to!
> ;-)
>
> > Dan in TX
> > P.S. Don't we all love the sig " quotes" from our good friend M. L.,
> >
> [O'Neal, Kevin W.]  I don't mind a good chuckle in my
> day...Baaahaaahaa.  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!  I'll give a good
> Baaaahaaahaa for dumb Gore comments.  Is it that they are harder to
find???
> Doh!  Who said that???
>
> > Subject: Re: MSG being a weird place + things
> > Bjorn,
> > George is right! I've seen them at MSG 14 times and they were always
great
> > there.
> > This will be a great show,
> > magik
> >
> [O'Neal, Kevin W.]  I want to go!!  Please add a show on 10/9 !!
> Magik, isn't there something you can do??? ;-)
>
> Kevin in VT.

> > BTW, 78% of the people who have downloaded Stephen King's latest
> > on-line work have paid for it on the honor system. That suggests
> > that someone who is intelligent can use the technology to advance
> > their careers.
>
> I hate to break it to you, Kevin, but I don't think Stephen King needs to
advance his career. A few million
> added or not added to his bank account isn't going to make a difference. A
big reason King is able to take
> advantage of the technology is because he is guaranteed big media play for
this venture. An unknown isn't
> going to easily get all the free publicity, worth millions itself, so
people will know that their music or
> book or whatever can be found on-line. By the way, if King's way is such a
good idea, why didn't The Who use
> the honor system for Blues to the Bush? Or at least charge a whole lot
less money, since they supposedly
> aren't using one of those big bad overcharging record companies to get
their disc out to the public.

> Dave
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 23:35:03 +0200
> From: Bjorn Ciggaar <ciggaar@warande.net>
> Subject: I LOOOOVE MSG!!!
>
> Hi,
>
> Why is everybody e-mailing me trying to convince me that MSG is a great
> venue??? Have I said otherwise?
>
> I said I think it would be a wierd place. I love wierd places/things. I
> love Shepherds Bush, White City and Hammersmith (my favourite parts of
> London). I love my purple appartment and I love John's outfits. Hey, I
even
> like The Village People! (but not as much as The Who though, I'm not
*that*
> wierd)
>
> Now I have never been inside MSG; and what I was just saying is that the
> whole corporate thing that is going on is wierd. I didn't say anything
> about acoustics or the look and feel of the venue. If it wasn't for
Glasgow