Re: It's Hard recording time

>Of course, detractors of the album might say that Pete didn't care, but
>that seems to be completely negated by the many interviews he gave about
>that album.  Apparently he was quite excited by the
>album before it came out and thought it was going to be some of The Who's
>best work.  I really don't get even the slightest inkling that Pete thought
>this was a record he was just chucking out so he could be rid of The Who.

Something did go on, though, because didn't Roger (privately) say it was
junk and try to stop it from coming out?  It could be that Pete was excited
about the content--the lyrics and the concept rather than the overall sound.
  Plus, it contains the shift Pete was trying to make, and did make in his
solo albums, to a softer, jazzier style.  It's only the songs in the older
style (written for Roger to sing) that sound strained.  I'd consider
"Eminence Front" to be one of Pete's best songs.

keets