I'm (not in need of being) Free; Rock And Roll

> Yup.  In general I don't mind it but one I heard recently that caused me
> to go "Ugh!" was a McDonald's commercial with the "Face the Face" music,
> but with lyrics about McDonald's food.

Bill:

It bothers me that a band whose members have all used drugs and continue
to, in some cases at least, would lend a song to an anti-drug commercial.
That's as hypocritical as claiming a candidate who has done cocaine is
going to bring back morals to the White House. Easily.
Then, too, the anti-drug forces are going about it the wrong way. Anyone
who's ever smoked a joint knows that feeling like they're "free" when they
decide to stop is a gross exaggeration (to say the least) and therefore has
no meaning. If the commercial was strictly for addictive drugs, fine, but
the problem is the anti-drug forces cannot seem to tell the difference. And
this is why they continue to fail. Just recently I read a newspaper article
which stated that Carl Sagan was a pot smoker all of his adult life. For
this brilliant man, it caused no harm (indeed, he claimed to gain insights
from it) and he never felt a need to be "free" of it.
So this sort of thing just offends me to the core of my being, that's all.
I'd much rather the songs hawk hamburgers. Even if they are half soybean.

> I'd almost buy it to hear that track.  RD said on the Good Morning
America
> interview that he'd never try to sing Robert Plant.

Keets:

That's funny. Have you heard him singing the Zep song Rock And Roll? While
you might think it's a potential train wreck, he actually does a good job
with it. Too bad they forgot to leave out the backing singers.