Re: the turtable's in the garage

>I read a lot about the Chicago shows, but I didn't hear much about the
>bridge school benefit show(s?). Any thoughts?

I didn't see may reviews.  Here's one from another list.  Seems like there
was one other, but I can't find it right now.

keets

>The acoustic concert had great possibilities, I thought.  I didn't see
>Sunday's show, but on Saturday they sounded terrific--just had a few
>glitches here and there, like maybe they were a little underrehearsed and
>not sure how to go about it.  Obviously they'd thought about the
drums, and must have tried it out and come up with a method to keep Zak
from drowning them out.  Zak did really well, played with tremendous
finesse--you hardly noticed him there--and Rabbit, too.

Somebody said Pete was the only artist there who seemed
to take full advantage of the acoustic requirement to show what he
could do with it.  The Who's music does have musical interludes that
allow for some virtuoso playing.  I was disappointed that JAE didn't do
the bass solo in BBE that he did for DST, and I wonder if they didn't
have it planned and then missed it, or scrapped it for some reason.  It
would have been the thing to show off JAE's ability.

I'm going to commit sacrilege here (again) and say I really do like the
big band.  It DOES have it's place.  The Vegas concert was exciting and
breath-taking, but it was noticibly more work for TED, and it'd be
tough to keep that energy up on an extended tour.  The bigger band
CHANGES the music, too, in a way that was more obvious in the acoustic
concert.  Without it they don't have much in the way of dynamics.  At
Vegas they had the volume to carry the sound, and it just blasts away;
then Pete screws up the tension with his electric guitar, and the whole
thing builds up to a very nice, satisfying climax.  Doesn't work that
way with the acoustic guitars.

Actually the Johnny Cash songs Roger did had the right sound for
acoustic guitar--Cash uses one, after all, and he's got the dynamics
built into the music (works well for Roger's voice, too).  Since Pete
composed The Who music for electric guitar, he's depended on his
technique to provide the crescendo at first, and then the bigger band
to do it for him.  They had a terrific sound on the acoustic
guitars--nicely thunderous--but the energy level didn't vary much, and
it just sort of petered out and stopped when they were out of notes.
I'm not sure what to do about that, maybe add the drums full force at
the end, or more bass to finish up.  Whatever, I enjoyed the sound and
I'd like to hear more of it. (Love that acoustic bass.) ;)