Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #287

On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:47:18 -0500, "O'Neal, Kevin W."
<Kevin.ONeal@vtmednet.org> , late of Pablo Fanques Fair wrote:

>*From Pete Interview posted on this list*
>"The feeling I have that is most precious to me is that I felt I was
>commissioned
>by the audience, not from a rich patron or concert promoter. We wrote our
>own
>music and the effectiveness of my early work was that I was from the same
>world
>as my audience."
>
>****OK, that's the second time very recently that Pete has mentioned this
>"commision". The first being in his message recently posted on his new web
>site.  Something to the effect of a tour being dependant on whether he gets
>a commision from his fans in reaction to Lifehouse.
>What do you folks think Pete means by this?  What is he looking for from us?
>What can we do? Is he talking sales?

While sales are probably important to some degree, I read this
statement differently. I think Pete was going back to the early days
when he felt that his music "spoke for" the fans, that he was
putting into words and music the feelings that the fans were not
able to express as well, but felt deeply. I think this is what he
meant by being "commissioned" by the fans (commissioned to be their
spokesperson). I think he wonders if he speaks for anyone now, or is
just a "nostalgia" act for people who just want to see him do
windmills and smash his guitar.

--
Kevin B. O'Brien                  TANSTAAFL
kob1@ix.netcom.com

Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/