RE: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #287

*From Pete Interview posted on this list*
"The feeling I have that is most precious to me is that I felt I was
commissioned
by the audience, not from a rich patron or concert promoter. We wrote our
own
music and the effectiveness of my early work was that I was from the same
world
as my audience."

****OK, that's the second time very recently that Pete has mentioned this
"commision". The first being in his message recently posted on his new web
site.  Something to the effect of a tour being dependant on whether he gets
a commision from his fans in reaction to Lifehouse.
What do you folks think Pete means by this?  What is he looking for from us?
What can we do? Is he talking sales?
This leads me to another question related to whistling and showing praise.
At the Woodstock reunion last August(where I was fortunate enought to be
able to be in attendance with a good childhood friend and fellow Who
nut---2nd row no less)I found myself wanting to show my praise in a more
meaningfull way than just clapping or whistling (I can whisle very
loudly....won't be at future shows however).  Being a stupid American loser,
I started a chant of "you...you...you...you", while bowing ala we're not
worthy from Waynes world! I KNOW,...you don't have to tell me...I know I
wasn't at a Football game!!!, BUT that's all that came to mind at that
drug/alcohol induced moment!
What's funny, is that Pete actually got a kick out of it.  As he finished
introducing the band he said something to the effect of "that leaves
just........ME!!!!" and, I kid you not, began piroeteing (spell check
broken) up and down the stage!!!  When he stopped, he looked over at me and
with a laughing/smirking/(yet still kind)classic Pete sarcastic grin and
tone, said "YYOUUU!"
I of course turned to my buddy to make sure he saw it too, and then just
laughed. Great/fun moment!
My question is, how can we show our thanks..our appreciation??!!  Clapping
is borring! Whistling causes pain.  It sounds like Pete is going to have to
address fan noise if/when they tour.  I always dig the fan that holds up the
simple sign that reads "thank you".

Ilya wrote:
There's this question that I want to ask you: what artist or band do you =
think continued best, without imitating, what The Who had begun? And I =
would like some arguments here too...
And don't forget to think about other new topics...?
ilya

****To me, this depends on what you mean by "continued what The who began".
For my definition....the band/s would be The Sex Pistols, (early)Suicidal
Tendancies.  For me, The who began Punk.

Stay in Tune,
Kevin in VT