RE: Who Videos!! - BEWARE

Hello fellow Who fans,

yesterday one of our list members (at least, that is what she seemed to
be) drew our attention to a web site that supposedly has many Who videos
on offer.
Now, it so happens that a very (VERY!) similar message was also send to
the members of the Van Morrison Mailing List. I can tell, because I am
on that list as well (yes, there are other known life forms outside of
Planet Who).

Here are both messages for all to see:

> Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 01:05:35 EST
> From: Madamjuli@aol.com
> Subject: Who Videos!!
>
> I found a website that has tons of live rare
> WHO videos plus over 3000 other live
> concerts they are called Mr Videos
> I found them at http://www.mrvideos.com
>
> - - Yours Juli

> Date:    Tue, 2 Nov 1999 00:46:39 EST
> From:    Juli Andrews <Madamjuli@AOL.COM>
> Subject: Van Videos!!
>
> I found some killer live videos of Van Morrisons
> at a website called Mr Videos. This site has
> like over 3000 live concerts listed on it a
> whole bunch of Van Morriosn shows as well!!
> Its at http://www.mrvideos.com
>
> - Yours Juli

Too much similarities for my comfort......
It's quite clear that Mr. Video and/or 'Juli' are not so much fans of
The Who (or of van Morrison for that matter), but rather just of their
own bank
account.
I wonder what postings there will have been on the mailing lists for
Neil Young, Led Zeppelin, Paul McCartney, Santana, etc., etc.

To make things even more 'obscure', here's what one of the Van listers
(Joe in Idaho) added:

> Listers: while having no specific information re Mr. Videos, I did happen
> upon a trader's site last spring in which was placed a quite vociferous
> warning about dealing with this person and/or business.  The sad fact is
> that I didn't bookmark this person's site and do any follow up
> investigation with the individual to verify his complaints.  The site did
> have testimonials from individuals who had been burned, and a history of
> Mr. Videos' duplicitous dealings with a handful of people interested in
> obtaining videos of artists.  Seems that the person who owns this agency
> joins trade lists under different names, and e addresses,  to obtain
> videos, trades for the vids, but has poor follow-thru on trrades, and
> according to the report, has an even worse record of delivering on
> purchases of certain artists.  Again, I have no personal info re Mr.
> Videos.  But the site I visited had a lot of documentation of both e
> correspondence, and copies of bills to lend an air of truth to what this
> particular individual was purporting.  No offense, in advance, to you who
> are gonna jump all over my arse for defaming the fine and fantastic Mr.
> Videos in my knee jerk reactionary way.  My warning is just to inform
> listers to be aware, and to not set yourselves up to get burned.  If this
> was a great and reputable firm, don't you think that the VAN-L or
> VAN-Info lists would have been posted to re Mr. Videos inventories long
> before today?  Is there a chance that dcat
[he is a Brian Cady type of 'authority' on all things Van - hans]
> would have continually missed
> this resource whilst compiling his impressive list of Van resources to
> the Lists?  Buyer beware.

Like this fellow Van-fan, all I can do is issue a warning. Of course, I
myself do not have any proof that Mr. Videos does not deliver - and I
haven't been to his website yet - and I know it is dangerous to quote
heresay, but I somehow think it would be a good idea to be most cautious
before engaging in any trades here.

Better perhaps, to start saving for that new PT and Who stuff which will
be released in 2000. And which we will all HAVE to have anytime, anyway,
anyshape, anyprice, now won't we?!

Yours truly,

hans hoekstra
Heerewaarden, The Netherlands.