Re: Petophobia, Tarantinophobia

At 18:53 -0800 1/15/1999, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 21:40:04 EST
>From: Daswer@aol.com

Another outstanding post from Leo:

>Pete discusses his sexuality openly and we all worship Pete's
>legendary frankness... By calling it "irrevelant" or "not worthy of
>discussion" >we're
>stamping it as taboo.

Well said.  I suppose the danger, such as it is, or intellectually
distasteful aspect if you'd rather, comes from people speculating on stuff
they really have no clue about.

>I've hated his guts ever since he
>decided he was going to be the Voice of Generation X musically also.

Are you referring to the slap against The Who, or has he made other
statements re: music?  I avoid being irritated by him by just watching his
movies and, once I found him kind of annoying in the first talk-show
interviews, not seeking out reportage of any sort on him personally

>when he went out of his way to
>smear an already much dismissed band named The Who

My earlier post indicated a possible theory of how he came to pick them for
an example of mindless dilettantes "piling on the fanwagon".  Humorously
enough, at the "Pulp Fiction" premiere I mentioned, he also spoke glowingly
(if briefly) of Led Zeppelin, blissfully unaware that Austin homeboy
Richard Linklater, who introduced him and was sitting right beside him, had
recently been denied rights to use the song "Dazed and Confused" in his
just-completed movie of the same name.  (Page had actually given
permission, but Plant refused it on the grounds that it would interfere
with his solo career, ppphththht :-P)  The audience well understood the
gaffe.

> he wound up on my shitlist
>>for life.

Funny, I really have no opinion on him personally, I just watch his
movies...but I had the same reaction to John Hiatt for his recent
"Perfectly Good Guitar".  I knew nothing of him prior to that song but that
one was enough to put him on my shitlist (for putting Pete down), and he
hasn't got off it yet.

>I grudgingly went
>to "Jackie Brown" to see if he could repeat his "Pulp Fiction" magic.  I'm
>happy to report "Jackie Brown" sucked.

It had its moments, but it's no PFiction.  I'm afraid he may go his whole
life without equalling that gem.

ObWho:  I just bought a copy of the movie "Buddy's Song" on the slipcover
of which Roger's name is misspelled ("Daltry") FIVE times, including in
letters 1/4" high across the top.  Does anyone know whether all copies of
"Buddy's Song" were printed with this (these) error(s)?

Alan
Be sure to read _McKendree: A Burning Novel of Murder and Revenge_
by Douglas Hirt, ISBN 0-8439-4184-7  (available at www.amazon.com)