Re: Tommy in New York City

At 9:46 PM -0800 1/13/99, Joseph wrote:

>	How was the actor who played Tommy Walker?  There's no way he could
>have compared to Roger Daltrey in the Tommy film!!

He was excellent but you can't compare the two because they did it from two
different perspectives.  Michael Cerveris, who played Tommy, was more
introspective and less angry.  Here's what PT wrote about the two:

"If I had created the character of Tommy as a seeker, Roger Daltrey
realized him as a finder.  Working behind Roger playing Tommy is to feel
piloted by a Stealth bomber finding its target; no one knows quite where it
is coming from, you can't see it on the radar, but when it appears and hits
home it blows you away.  Michael Cerveris has created a new Tommy- more a
self-willed victim of an absurd crime of passion who becomes wise through
experience.  Both Roger and Michael have produced stunning variations on my
original idea."

>	However, I've heard great things about the Tommy Broadway production!

There are differing opinions.  If you're looking for a replica of the Who's
version complete with bum notes and angry guitar, you're not going to get
it.  If you're looking for a great piece of musical theatre with all the
energy of rock and roll infused into it, then you're all set.

>They should have filmed the damn production for a TV broadcast or
>something equivilant to that in the United States, if not, the world.

First off, it's often done at universities; check www.playbill.com perhaps
or ticketmaster.com to see if you can find a production near you.  Not the
same as the original, but most amateur versions are still pretty good.

Second off, rehearsals were filmed and can be seen in part on "Tommy: The
Amazing Journey," which I believe is still available on home video.

Jay

 		   <hare@acsu.buffalo.edu>
           	http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~hare
           Wen yu fre fal, fynd iff heven waitz. - David Ives