Re: Tommy in New York City

Having seen it, I'd thought I'd describe it.

First off it was Broadway but with a strong rock edge.  But as Broadway it was
extremely inventive.  The special effects didn't compete with the music or story
but actually made them stronger (unlike almost any other late 80's/early 90's
effects-laden Broadway show I can think of).  The rearrangement of the songs
were interesting such as "Sensation" done in a "West Side Story" manner and
"Tommy Can You Hear Me" done as early 60's doo-wop.

If you know a lot about Pete the story gains even more, because it's been
re-written to be a thinly-disguised biography of Pete.  They even recreate his
nasty "A Whole Scene Going" TV appearance.

My only problems come with the secularizing of the work.  Pete has replaced
Tommy's vision of the Godhead with a vision of a normal home life and this
really wrecks the ending.  The rejection of Tommy by his followers wasn't clear
in the original; in this version it makes no sense at all.  But, as always,
"Listening To You" saves the day and gets everyone on their feet.  Despite these
reservations, I'd still go see it again in a New York minute.

			-Brian in Atlanta