review for Mark

Here's a review from another list that certainly isn't bad.  The "depth"
didn't have anything to do with the condition of his voice that day.
It's something that surprises people, I'm sure.

keets

>DALTREY THROAT ILLS CAUSE MISSED SHOWS

>Roger Daltrey, the legendary lead singer of the rock band The Who,
survived a poverty plagued
childhood, probation, fathering illegitimate children, double vision,
and an over-the-edge lifestyle.
But the Rock n Roll Hall of famer couldn't hold up against the rigors of
a bah-humbug throat bug
while starring as Scrooge in The Christmas Carol at Madison Square
Garden which closed
yesterday. Daltrey missed several performances of the high-budget
spectacular production. I
caught Daltrey's first performance after he returned to the show. His
throat
problems were so severe that two days prior to his return officials told
me they
were worried that he wouldn't be able to resume the role.

>His voice was weak, scratchy and craggly -- oddly enough given the role
of
Ebenezer Scrooge, the ailment only added depth to Daltrey's portrayal of
the
miser who needed three ghosts to teach him what has real value.

>Many of the theater goers recognized Roz Ryan - Ghost of Christmas
Present-
who starred in UPN's Good News and from her five seasons as Amelia
Hetebrink in NBC's hit series Amen.

>In portraying Scrooge, Daltrey joined a lead role that has been played
in previous years by Tony
Randall, Terrance Mann and the late Roddy McDowell. Several members of
the cast dedicated
their performances in this production to Roddy's memory.

>On a personal Daltrey note, portraying Scrooge meant that Daltrey spent
his first Christmas ever
outside of England.

>This annual production is an event that is a major undertaking,
underwritten by American
Express. From the moment one enters the cavernous Madison Square Garden
they are transported
into a Victorian London village. The cement walls are Dickins' houses
and quaint shops.
Costumed carolers greet ticket holders.

>A Christmas Carol was written by Charles Dickens in the fall of 1843.
The son of an financially
irresponsible father, at the age of 12 Charles was forced to labor in a
rat-infested boot-blacking
(shoe polish) factory after his father was sent to debtor's prison. The
family's possessions were
sold to pay creditors. Charles lived alone in cheap lodgings, barely
able to feed himself. As an
adult his imbedded childhood hardships were the inspiration for his
writings about injustice,
ignorance, greed and the power to rise above it.

>A Christmas Carol is an annual event at Madison Square Garden. If you
ever have an opportunity
to be in New York during the holiday season, don't miss this spectacular
production.

Copyright: December 28, 1998
By: Laura Deni