RD

>>I mean, how many openings are there for 55 year old rock singers?
>
>Rog...he's never struck me as all that bright. I mean, his solo choices
have been poor most of the time, for instance. I'd like to see an
non-Who fan review of his Xmas Carol performance, and while he was
decent doing Wizard Of Oz it was a "Rock Star" sort of thing and he just
"did Daltrey" anyway.

RD is a pretty sharp guy, and likely no slouch in the brains department.
Preplanning doesn't seem to be his strong point, but then he seems
pretty fair at playing it by ear.  I mean, after all, who's responsible
for putting The Who together?

The solo choices vary a lot, which's had the effect of 1) letting him
work out different technique  2) showing off the different things he can
do  3) extending the time and place where he can work.  People don't
call him "the aging rock star" a whole lot.  Generally they get confused
and just go with "the er...star."

Watch "The Wizard of Oz" again (the acting, not the singing).  It
doesn't look like RD at all, and it's a good performance.  It got him
"Christmas Carol," and maybe that will get him something else on
Broadway.  RD is just terrific as a live performer, whatever he's doing.

I agree that RD's choices in movies/TV haven't been that great, but
then, he's never seemed to take it that seriously.  If he'd devoted some
of the drive and effort he's put into the singing career, likely he's
have a better record as an actor.  He does need better quality
opportunities and good people to work with.

>I didn't see his performance in Listomania, or the smaller parts in
other movies, as particularly notable.

RD is actually a pretty good actor.  "McVicar" got him work for the BBC,
and "Mack The Knife" is sharp, too.  I haven't watched all his movies,
but he looks competent in what I've seen.  The movies aren't always that
great--but RD does okay.

TV is a different story.  Most of what I've seen there isn't especially
good--I don't think the screen's big enough.  When you watch TV, it
looks like 90 percent of the acting is done with the eyes, and the
techniques for live acting and movies don't transfer well--notice TV
actors often have a hard time making the change to cinema.  Now and then
RD does a flash of something really super on TV, but interestingly, I
think it's when he forgets about the camera.

>My question might be: would have have secured any of these roles had he
not been the lead singer for The Who first?

No, but remember that RD made himself the lead singer of The Who.  He's
built his own opportunities right from the beginning.

keets