Politics, WGFA, PC songs

> suggest that those interested in discussing American politics should
> move their discussions to private e-mail.

YL:

Fine; my reply regarding politics will be privately CCed to all who
responded (other interested parties can contact me privately), but by the
same token although I have never once complained about the
dream/fantasy/whatever notes YOU have posted for years, I will now request
that by the same standard YOU cease and desist posting those types of
notes. Even if you do manage to get The Who in there, as you sometimes do.
Fair enough? I think it is.

> Although Townshend was certainly no counterculture "champion," I don't
think
> Won't Get Fooled Again is anti-revolution.  It just points out that once
the
> revolution has happened, it will eventually be subverted.

Howard:

It's a "cautionary tale," which would be to warn people not to do
it...which would make it anti-revolutionary.

> I don't think Townshend himself was anti-revolutionary, either.  He
wanted the
> whole Lifehouse thing to revolutionize the way people thought about what
music

That would be a social revolution as opposed to a political revolution,
which WGFA is clearly about.

> I don't remember who that was that wrote the above, but it wasn't me.

Brian:

It was me.

> However,
> I'd say it was pretty much correct.  WGFA was seen at the time of its
release as
> a slam on the counterculture.

That's exactly how I saw it, back in 1971.

> DAN QUYALE FOR PRESIDENT IN 2000!!!!!!

Sorry, but I see that his fans are equally able to spell as the candidate
himself.

> I venture to suggest no woman ever called Jimi a cute little lovemaker;
> his manhood would've been insulted if one had.

Carolyn:

Of COURSE, but there ARE differences between the sexes. Just thought you'd
want to know.

> above.  BTW, I notice in general that those folks who are most
> agin "PC" tend to be Caucasian males...if you're African or
> Asian-American, please forgive my assumption. ;-)

I'm part Cherokee, if that helps, but no matter what I am...silliness and
extremism is still silliness and extremism. No problems will EVER be solved
by people being far too sensitive about things that are not pointed at
them. If you don't believe me, ask the guy who lost his job for using the
word "niggardly" (which is in NO WAY a racial term). Hell, ask Pete
Townshend!