Re: Sting's Alive, Foxy Lady, Clinton, PSYCHO...., REM & Women Fans

>Re "Foxy Lady" being sexist:
>
>>Not unless you're going to claim that a woman couldn't write an
equally intense song about how sexually attractive she finds a
particular man. It's heterosexist, if you must engage in PC Newspeak,
but IMO labelling an ode to sexual attraction "sexist" is a misuse of
the language.<

>What bothers me isn't the desire expressed, it's the way he expresses
>it.  "You're a cute little heartbreaker...you're a sweet little
lovemaker". I venture to suggest no woman ever called Jimi a cute little
lovemaker; his manhood would've been insulted if one had.  I always felt
as if he were addressing this song to a teen or even pre-teen, which
just gives me the creeps.

A cute little lovemaker?  I dunno.  Hendrix, personally, came across a
lot different from that aggressive quality in his music, and various of
his acquaintances said he just wasn't tough enough to make it.  How old
was he when he died--not much more than a teen himself.  There probably
were some gals who told him he was cute, and sweet, and then ripped him
off.  Pete, at the same age, came across as a pretty tough
customer--much more cynical and world-wise.

>Interesting point, BTW (at least for me):  I don't think most
>women my age (thirty-something) are fond of the Who--at
>least, I've never known any to be except for my best friend--but
>the younger women seem to be.  I suspect this has something
>to do with the rise of women's rights.

I think you're right about this.  The teen gals and early
twenty-somethings are a tough bunch, ready to get right out there and
compete with guys in business, in music, or wherever.  I think they like
that tough quality The Who projected--and TED still does.  Think Pete
would be up to writing music for teen-aged girls these days? <g>

keets