Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V6 #32

I agree, "See Me Feel Me" has several contexts in the whole piece, but
at the very end, "Listening to You" is a prayer, and not to himself
(That would be a bit big-headed, wouldn't it? After all you don't pray
to yourself, you talk to yourself).

Whether you believe in God or not, you can't deny Pete's intention. To
listen to The Who/Pete without the spiritual context is not the whole
experience. Songs/prayers like "Bargain," "Let My Love Open the Door,"
as well as the aforementioned "Love Reign O'er Me" and "Listening to
You" simply don't have the depth that Pete originally intented.

>.  I always maintained that for the self-enlightened,
> change every reference to "God", "Father", "Jesus", etc. to "I",
"Me",> "My"
> in the Bible, and it all works and makes sense.<

Funny. I always read, "Hammer of the Gods" and take every reference made
to "Led Zeppelin" and change it to "The Who." It works, ain't true, but
it works.

Mook

Mook says:
The original message says:> Alan wrote:
> >Wow...I too have been listening to Tommy for the better part of three
> >decades and interpret the end as saying that Tommy, hurt by the>
rejection
> >of the would-be followers he tried to help, recoils back into
himself> ("See
> >me feel me..."), but does not revert to deaf/dumb/blindness, instead
> >carrying on with normal senses but realizing that he himself is all
he> has
> >to rely on ("Listening to You" being addressed to himself).
> This is pretty cool.  I always maintained that for the
self-enlightened,
> change every reference to "God", "Father", "Jesus", etc. to "I",
"Me",> "My"
> in the Bible, and it all works and makes sense.   What Pete is saying>
here is
> that we have to look into ourselves for strength, direction, and
> validation.   I believe he was/is correct, IMHO.Joe
I say:The "See Me Feel Me" and "Listeneing to You" themes are heard many
times
throughout Tommy.  And I think they are a prayer at some points (A
prayer to his
own
image in the mirror), but they take on new meanings in the new contexts
in which
they are played.  I think you are correct, Mook, but Alan's
interpretation is
still
valid.  And I think Pete would agree that Tommy finally realizes that he
doesn't
hold the key to everyone's enlightenment, only his own enlightenment.
By the way, Mook, I love Steve Martin.Long Live Rock!Howard P.