Pete's autograph

>Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 22:38:48 -0500
>From: DrJimmy <DrJimmy@iamdigex.net>
>Subject: Petes autograph

>Is it just me, or does it seem a little impersonal to buy someone
elsesautographed >anything? Certainly not a conversation piece!
<No offense Mark, but....that's just the way I feel...

No, I agree with you in some respects though it is quite exciting to have a
signed photo. There are two different reasons why people collect these
things. As a Who fan since 1971 I have some photos and letters that I have
obtained myself and which I value more highly than this photo -  which
bought from a bona fide collector. However there is enormous interest in
this country (UK) and elsewhere in Rock 'n Roll memorabilia and autographs
and other such items exchange hands for large sums of money. In this respect
The Who are less "marketable" than say, Elvis Presley or the Beatles as they
don't have the same broad popular appeal. For instance, I have seen all four
Beatles' autographs offered at more than $4000. I don't see anything
fundamentally wrong with this as long as the stuff is obtained legitimately
and nobody is being exploited.

Hey ! You wanna buy Elvis' underpants ?

Mark