Someone say Art?

Here's a little meat for the stew:

What is Art?
Who the hell knows?  Who’s to say what art is?  “What is art?”, is an
unrealistic question to ask.  The simple truth is that no one knows what
art is.  Certainly not the “artists”.  I read somewhere that one
particular “artist” received thousands of dollars for his unique,
excrement sculpture.  Is that art?

Who knows what affects ME more than I do?  Therefore, no one person
should take such a pretentious position by suggesting that they can tell
me what is art.  Just as silly is them trying to tell me what is not.
What do they know?  What do I know?

What do I know?  What I like.  Recently, I heard “rock is not art.”.
Hell, I don’t know if it is or it isn’t, all I do know, is what effect a
particular medium has upon me.  (Note - If the reader thinks rock music
is solely used for toe-tapping, stop reading now.  Forget it.  You’re
doomed.)

When rock music is at its greatest, it affects me on a level that is
deep and powerful.  I can feel it emotionally; I can feel it in my
psyche.  I can feel it physically and spiritually.  Somehow, through the
sheer power of the music, I am moved.  But still, is that art?

Let’s cite an example:  Paul McCartney, he’s perfect.

CRITICS:  He’s not an artist.  He is a pop-music machine only in it for
the money.
SUPPORTERS:  He is an artist.  He created music that will endure perhaps
forever.
IDIOTS:  He’s an artist because he’s sold a zillion records.

Can a verdict be reached?  Is he an artist or not?  I don’t care.  All I
know is McCartney’s music has moved me, so perhaps maybe, to me, it is
art.  To me.  Beauty; eye of beholder; blah, blah, blah.

So for me, not all rock music is art, but certainly there are “artists”
in my own personal Olympus of rock-gods.
And even Zeus tries to play like Townshend.