Re: Joker James

>I should have been more clear; I do remember someone posting the lyrics
>to JJ (with variations on what was finally recorded) on this list (I
>think) a few years ago (you?). The music, however, sounds very much like
>1980 Who. It may be that PT adapted it from the original. Wish we could
>hear the '68 version, if one exists (even as a demo).

Seems to me that Joker James would have fit in well on "Sell Out".  It's
interesting to hear The Who in '79 trying to do justice to a song of this
vintage.  Too bad, the results just make make me want to hear it as Kit
Lambert might have recorded it in '67 or '68 ("biscuit tin" drums and all).

No way is Moon on FF! I think perhaps in regard to the
>Jones drumming on subsequent Who albums, FF may appear to have a
>different drummer (because he's much better here)...but even if it's not
>Jones, it's definitely not Moon.

Such a light-weight number as Four Faces shouldn't warrant much debate, but
you guys have really got me wondering about the identity of the mystery
drummer on this track.   I still think it sounds like Moon, albeit on a
really off day.  IMO, some of those drum rolls sound too trademark-Keith to
be anyone else.  Too loose to be Jones, anyway.   If asked about it, I
wonder if Entwistle would even be able to tell us.

FF sounds more like an afterthought. Neither sound remotely like a QUAD
>song. Nor would they have fit into the story.

Won't get no argument from me there.

Buck