Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V5 #49

In a message dated 24/02/98 09:50:40 GMT, you write:

> I may be wrong, but I believe it was pretty difficult to perform songs
>  "live" on TV shows back in the '60's.

When radio engineers in the 1930's were capable of mic-ing up Big Bands, why
on earth should a 4 piece rock band of the 60's caused probs ?

Ok the volume scared them a little ;  they usually got the balance wrong -
vocal too loud, too little bass, and drumkits mic'd with 2 overheads giving
all topkit & no kick drum. But PLENTY of people played live - and sounded
great.

(Without checking) isn't the  Ready Steady Go ! 'AnyhowAwayAwhich', reproduced
on Kids are All Right live ? I think it is. Lots of atmospheric camera shake.
If you watch the collected Ready Steady Go's, the difference  between
performances mimed & those PLAYED is vast. Check the Otis Redding show...

There were other issues (in UK) involving the Union - but by & large the bands
who played live usually blew away the mimers.

jp