Re: Who's Better Who's Best

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:12:09 -0700 Rich Thomson <rthomson@ptc.com> wrote:
>Before Tommy, the band was very much concerned with flash and image
>and clothes and makeup (Pete talks about this in TKAA).  At one point,
>I believe Pete just said "Fuck it!" and totally ditched all pretense
>of fashion by picking up work boots and a jumpsuit.  This was in 1969
>during the Tommy tour, I believe.  If you look at early pictures of
>the Tommy tour in Europe, they're still all aflash and glitter.  By
>the time they got to Woodstock, Roger had let his hair grow long and
>curly, sporting the shirt with all the leather thongs hanging from it
>and Pete had adopted Doc Martens (before they were swish) and the
>boiler suit.  Roger also commented that he was tired of straightening
>his hair to look more like a mod!

Here's some interesting remarks of Pete's I recently found:

"A lot of that was tied up with Roger’s development as a separate ego,
and everyone in the band started to define their images a lot more. I
used to go on wearing a boiler suit and Dr. Martens in defiance of
fashion,  d’you know what I mean?

"This was immediately post-LSD and Roger was wearing fucking shawls and I
don’t know what.. .I don’t think Roger ever even took acid, but at that
particular time that was what everybody did, made sure your
clothes were kind of trippy [laughs]. It was that Beatles and Satanic
Majesties period when everybody was really turning out crap."

                                     -Brian in Atlanta

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]