Re: Who's Better Who's Best

In article <a5edfdc.34ede369@aol.com> ,
    Dover87@aol.com  writes:
> [...]  I must say, with the exception of maybey my
> generation, magic bus, and I'm free, I was greatly dissapointed with the
> material.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with this video too; especially since
as die-hard fans we know that lots of better material exists.  This
looks like someone just rummaged through the film closet and assembled
the first 10 who things they found on a tape and called it "Who's
Best" (its hardly their best).

> I also came to wonder the other day what the story was behind the Boiler
> suit.  when did pete start wearing it?  When did he stop wearing it?

Before Tommy, the band was very much concerned with flash and image
and clothes and makeup (Pete talks about this in TKAA).  At one point,
I believe Pete just said "Fuck it!" and totally ditched all pretense
of fashion by picking up work boots and a jumpsuit.  This was in 1969
during the Tommy tour, I believe.  If you look at early pictures of
the Tommy tour in Europe, they're still all aflash and glitter.  By
the time they got to Woodstock, Roger had let his hair grow long and
curly, sporting the shirt with all the leather thongs hanging from it
and Pete had adopted Doc Martens (before they were swish) and the
boiler suit.  Roger also commented that he was tired of straightening
his hair to look more like a mod!

> Did anyone open for the who at leeds?  if so who

I've never heard of an opening band for that show, but there might
have been.

> P.s  i just noticed in the woodstock footage that pete has a pin on his
> collar.  i assume its of meher baba.

Is it the same on in this photo?
<http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/who/gallery/pete-1.jpg>
--