Feedback & The Beatles

> Just to save you the trouble, The High Numbers opened for The Beatles at
> the Blackpool Opera House on August 16th, 1964.  "I Feel Fine" was
> recorded October 18th, 1964.

Brian:

Thanks; that fits in quite nicely with what I was able to establish.
Except for one little detail: I see that both you and Bryce place IFF's
recording date at 10/18, whereas my quick snatch at the PAST MASTERS
booklet states it as 10/4. Not that it's a big difference...but it makes
me wonder...

> << I have to say that I'm pretty
>  much riding on the Beatles side of the fence for best band ever but
>  everybody obviously has the right to their own opinion. >>
>
> I have to agree with that. I love the Who, but the Beatles were just better
> in most aspects.

If that's how you guys feel about it, you have a right to and I won't
put you down for it. Personally, and I'm not running down The Beatles, I
find The Who's music more substantial and mature. Townshend explored
themes that were intellectually stimulating and sometimes even
uncomfortable, whereas L/McC (for the most part; there are exceptions on
both sides of course) seemed to be content with lighter subject matter.
Rock music has been called an expression of frustration. There is a
tension which is inherent in this. Great Rock music is a bit dangerous
(at least, when it's written). IMHO, The Who typify this much more than
The Beatles.
As performers, The Who clearly come out on top. Guitar, bass, and
drums...The Beatles were good performers, but The Who were considered
among the best in their respective fields.
Anyway, that's how *I* feel about it. Like what you've said, it's just
an opinion and I've given you (some of) the reasons for mine. It boils
down to three things: songwriting, performance, influence. IMHO, The Who
lead every other Rock band in these areas (at least, so far).

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend