Who analysis & Lennon's feedback

>Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 Mark R. Leaman wrote:
>Subject: Who analysis & Lennon's feedback

>That's what McCartney said, but I'm not buying it. The Who were using
>feedback before this and had opened for The Beatles. So were The Kinks
>and Tridents (Jeff Beck's group). If Lennon "discovered" it "by
>accident," he must have been completely oblivious of the music scene in
>England...do you think that could possibly be the case? I don't know for
>sure, but I sincerely doubt it.

 I'd have to say that The Beatles probably *were* the first band to release
a record with feedback on it ("I Feel Fine").If any other band (The Who
included) were using feedback in a "live" situation prior to this record
being released,they've never stepped forward and taken credit for it.And
somehow,I think that if Pete had been using the effect before Lennon's
stumbling onto it,he'd have made it known in interviews.Pete has always been
pretty outspoken about things like that,especially in his earlier
interviews.Remember in "TKAA" when he says that The Beatles music without
the vocals sounded "Flippin' awful." Do you think that if he had been using
feedback before The Beatles,he'd let Lennon take the credit for
"discovering" it?I doubt it.But hey,that's just the way that I see it.

                                 Long Live Rock,

                                        I.S.

 BEER...It's not just for breakfast anymore!