IOW & Woodstock

>Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 Kathleen L. Pasquale wrote:
>Subject: IOW & Woodstock
>
>In regards to The Who's performance at Woodstock I wonder if someone could
>clear up an argument that my husband and I have everytime we watch it.
>At the end of the set there is that memorable scene where Pete unplugs his
>guitar and tosses it into the audience. (I get goose bumps everytime I
>watch it. Still!!!)  Well the my husband says that after the stage goes
>dark he sees a roadie go into the audience and retrieve said guitar.
>Well what do you think guys?  Has anyone ever noticed that footage?  Or was
>anyone there that can shed some light on the dispute.

 From what I've read (most notably in an article that Rolling Stone Magazine
printed about the Woodstock Festival),a roadie for The Who did indeed run
out into the crowd to retrieve the tossed guitar.As to whether or not you
can actually see this roadie in the film,that's another story.I've never
seen it,but then again I've never looked for it.

>Another good video that's available is Rolling Stones R&R Circus.  The Who
>were phenomenal and if you like early Jethro Tull their performance wasn't
>to shabby either.

 There's a good reason why Jethro Tull's performance wasn't "too shabby."
It's because they weren't really playing!Ian Anderson's vocals were live,but
he was singing over a pre-recorded backing track,to which the rest of the
band mimed.And if you look closely,you'll notice that the guitarist is Toni
Iommi from Black Sabbath,who was only in Tull for about 5 minutes and isn't
even "faking it" to his own guitar licks.

                             Long Live Rock,

                                   I.S.

 BEER...It's not just for breakfast anymore!