Re: defending Tommy

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, dana hartwell deer wrote:

> The trick to melding with the Tommy studio album is to avoid worrying
> about the plot and the concept and just drift with it. Unlike other
> Who works, I don't believe it is best to listen to this album by
> pumping the volume and getting juiced and adrenalized by the sound.
> To really absorb the full effect of this album, try going into a
> dark room, sitting upright in a comfortable chair, putting on earphones
> and closing your eyes while the music completely becomes the focus of
> your attention and senses. Try to BE Tommy, let the fragmented ethereal
> stream of conciousness of the music become your own. Don't worry about
> the story and what is happening, just let the music carry you along
> like a log on an river current. Taking this approach, you will find
> that the album actually does take on some sort of form and linearity,
> and the subtle shades of meaning and textures of the thinking mind
> that Pete was centrally trying to convey with the album will come out.
> Among other things, you may find effectively communicated transformations
> in awareness and profound metaphysical truths. I know that sounds fucked
> up as hell if you haven't tried it, but really, it works. You can
> actually take on the Tommy-conciousness during the Underture!
>
> -Hart Deer
> (deerdana@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu)

		B	B	B	B	B	B
		B 	B	B	B	B	B
		B	B	B	B	B	B
		BBBBBBBBB  	B	B	BBBBBBBBB  ????????
		B	B	B	B	B	B
		B	B	 B     B	B	B
		B	B	  BBBBB  	B	B

	Jeez, I didn't know there would be a quiz after this.

Proud Captain of the Anti-Tommy Brigade! Yah! (note, humour! sarcasm! uh,
fun?)

			      Blessings,
			       Colleen
			Caile Donachaidh Kane
	     	     gielcl85@snydelab.delhi.edu
	            	      Proud PWFC
	      	       Silver Thread Productions
	   "I don't know where I'm going, I don't know what
	    I need, but I'll get to where I'm gonna end up,
            and that's all right by me..." - Pete Townshend