Re: Tommy's Mum, dad an' lover

In message <199703241626.KAA14097@sound.net>, Andrew Thompson
<lthompsn@sound.net> writes
>This is in response partially to Gary's post
>        Gary said," Pete's story is much more clear cut. We know the father
>definately kills the lover." Uh, not really. I only knew the father killed
>the lover because I was was told that the movie version was reversed from
>the origional.

O.K., so you didn't realize.  Fair enough, but you are in the minority here.
Most people know and accept that in Pete's version of the story the lover is
killed.  It's pretty well documented.

>But more recently did I actually pay attention to the lyrics
>in 1921. "So you think '21 is going to be a good year.(Then the dad pops in,
>but there isn't a new voice to show this) Could be good for you an' me, but
>you an' her - NO NEVER!" And the song continues with out missing a beat, so
>it is rather hard to see the murder in the music. It really should have a
>break, or a gunshot, or SOMETHING! Oh, it also is not, is NOT just the
>affair that the parents are trying to cover up. Remember Folks, Tommy's dad
>KILLS his mother's lover! Who cares about the lovers being in bed - Tommy
>witnesses a MURDER. If I were the parents, you bet your ass I'm going to try
>to make the kid forget it. It's the whole experience that effects Tommy, the
>guy in bed with mom; another guy, an ARMY guy comes and kills the guy with
>mommy, then both Mommy and the Army guy are yelling at me! WHY!? WHY?!? I
>think It's a pretty fucking traumatic experience for a kid! It's not a
>halusination by Tommy. He doesn't feel betrayed by his parents till AFTER
>they start yelling at him.

>It's not that hard to figure this stuff out!

Try digesting the information I gave you in my previous post.  I never
referred once to 1921.  I was referring to the ambiguity inherent in Russell's
screenplay.  As you yourself said:

>It's not that hard to figure this stuff out!

Hope this helps,

- --
Gary L