Re: Pete Townshend vs. Abbie Hoffman

>Dave Marsh claims that it happened during "Pinball Wizard".  I'm sure
>this is incorrect, because TKAA includes the Woodstock version of the
>song, and it doesn't occur then.  Also, what exactly does Abbie say
>from
>the stage, and what exactly does Pete say in return?  Thanks a lot.
>
>Thash

This may not be exactly precise as I'm reciting it from memory, but here
goes.

It happened immediately after "Pinball Wizard" ended.

(the following is on the 30 Years box set)
Abbie ran to the front of the stage and said into Pete's mike: "I think
this is a pile of s*** while John Sinclair rots in prison!"

Pete then says obviously off mike but loud: "F*** off!"  Abbie says
"What?"  Pete says "F*** off my f***ing stage!"  Abbie probably turns
his head to face the crowd and continue his harangue, and at that point,
Pete raises his guitar like a bayonet and bops Abbie in the back of the
head with the end of the guitar neck.  Abbie jumps off the stage and
runs into the crowd.

Pete then gives one loud power chord to make sure his guitar still works
(end of box set snippet) and The Who launch into "Do You Think It's
Alright."  After it is over, Pete retires to the back of the stage to
re-tune his guitar and, obviously still shaking with anger, announces
offmike but loudly, "the next f***ing person that walks across this
stage gets f***ing killed!"  The crowd hears this and roars its
approval.  Someone backstage laughs (not in The Who) and Pete says angrily, "You may laugh, but I'm serious."  The Who then continue playing
Tommy.

			-Brian in Atlanta