Pine Knob

Whew, what a show!

I have trouble believing anyone saw a better show. They were just so
hot and tight. The lineup was what everyone else has reported: Quad,
a short break, then back out for the usual 5 songs. There were no
surprises in the set list, in other words. But they were *clearly*
excited, and I think the crowd was a good part of the reason. The
local radio station had been playing The Who (and interviews as
well) all day long to get us primed,and the show was sold out. I
don't think anyone in that crowd sat down, even on the lawn, we were
all up and dancing (and I'll pay for it tomorrow, with my back, but
I don't care). As I observed last November when they played here,
this is a knowledgable Who crowd. Everyone knew the story, and there
was a lot of singing along (including me).

The opening act was so forgettable that I have already forgotten his
name (Ryan something?). He played a half hour, then a half hour
break while they reset the stage, and then the screen came to life
and the familiar sounds and sight of the surf started off
Quadrophenia. Pete played electric for about half of the songs, and
he was really into it. The tentativeness we saw last year seemed
completely gone. He was playing searing leads, windmilling, and his
trademark power chords. Simon handled about half of the lead work,
particularly when Pete was on acoustic. By the time they got to
5:15, Pete's shirt was totally unbuttoned and he was playing like
crazy. One little nit that could be picked was that John's solo was
probably not the best one he has ever done, although it was pretty
good. The song (5:15) must have gone at least 15 minutes. Pete went
crazy on electric, Roger started jamming on the vocals, etc.

About the only things Pete didn't do were 1)smash his guitar (Duh);
and 2) Jump up in the air (which is forgivable for an old fart;-))
His electrics looked like Strats, but these days everything looks
like Strats. It looked like he had at least three of them, plus
acoustic guitar. John could have been a touch louder, perhaps, but
the balance was actually pretty good, IMO. Roger was flat out
intense. His voice was not at its peak, and he trouble with the high
notes, but he put more energy into his singing than seems humanly
possible. Finally, Zak is a blessing. Pete repeated the comment
about how Zak has "reinvigorated the group" over the last two years,
and it is certainly borne out by his playing tonight. I liked Simon
Phillips, and I have nothing against Kenney Jones, but this is the
drummer for The Who now. He didn't remind me of Keith Moon,
particularly, but he was simply magnificent.=20

During WGFA, Pete again teased everyone with the opening to Pinball
Wizard. This was followed, as usual, by BBE, then Pete strapped on
an electric for Substitute and I Can't Explain. It was wonderful
just to hear those opening chords to Explain. Finally, WAY, with
Roger on acoustic.=20

I was in tears several times because it was so powerful. I thought
last fall was pretty special, but this was better. The difference
was Pete, really. He was not a wild, out-of-control maniac, as he
could be at one time. He is clearly a more mature man and artist
now. But he was enjoying himself tremendously, and it showed in his
electric guitar work, which was intense and confident.

Then I got rear-ended twice leaving Pine Knob (nothing serious,
fortunately), and almost a head-on as I neared home when some idiot
started drifting into the wrong lane. I was happy to get home in one
piece after allthat.<g>

Well, the VH-1 special has started,the tape is running, and I am
tired. So that is my report from the Detroit area.

- --=20
Kevin B. O'Brien                  TANSTAAFL
kob1@ix.netcom.com
"A sportsman is a man who, every now and then, simply has to get out and
kill something." -- Stephen Leacock

Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/