bad summer for concerts but TKAA

A few weeks ago I went to the R.O.A.R. show at Atlanta's Lakewood
Amphitheatre and found that, as I entered, only 300 tickets had been
sold.  There must have been a few walk-ups because there were
definately more than 300 people there in the end but it was still
pretty pathetic.  Meanwhile, according to this month's Rolling Stone,
Lallapalooza (spelled wrong?) is a big flop this year.  Crowds are
small and not enthusiastic.  There are successes this summer like
Styx (ugh!) and Lilith fair (no doubt a great place to meet women)
but the point is that our boys are holding their own.  Sure I would
like to see a huge, spectacular tour that generated publicity on its
own but on the other hand I will be seeing TED up close in a crowd of
true Who fans.  Not, as someone on one of these lists has pointed
out in different words, in a crowd of drunks there just to buy a tour
shirt and vomit acidic beer chyme on unsuspecting fans.

The Who are out there with minimal publicity, no new music,
supporting an album that came out in 1973, avoiding most of
their greatest hits, and still they sell more tickets than
Lallapalooza.  I only hope that parents take their teenaged
Lallapalooza-attending youngsters to a Who show so they can see the
greatest live rock band ever.  And for those young Who fans out there
- - take your friends to the show!

"My hairline ain't exactly superstar"

Frank