Re: Albert Speer

Ian wrote:

>  Actually,Pete Townshend may have gone a bit overboard by describing Albert
> Speer as "deleted".After Albert Speer was released from prison (his sentence
> resulting from the Nuremburg war trials),he actually went on to be a very
> successful author with his book "Inside The Third Reich".He was also much in
> demand for interviews and lectures,and I think he may have authored a second
> book as well.So ironically,Albert Speer was one of the few (if not the only)
> high-ranking Nazi do do well for himself when the war was over.

Good point, and one that I've considered.  Speer was the only Nazi at
Nurnberg to "cop a plea" by saying that he was responsible for not
knowing how bad he and his fellow Nazis had really been, i.e., the
Holocaust, slave labor, etc.  It got him a prison sentence, after which
he profited from his versions of events.

I think Pete would have known all this.  Still, it sounds better that
"Rudolf Hess was deleted," and there's too many syllables in Heinrich
Himmler.  It's a good song from a good album, but not a five-star album,
as I believe Rolling Stone rated it on release, comparing it favorably
to Who's Next.  I saw the Who in Louisville when they toured for It's
Hard (with Kenney Jones on drums); it wasn't fantastic, but it was good,
and Pete's windmills on "Cry If You Want" were great.

Roger A. Baylor
New Albany, Indiana