Re: Pete reading music (the debate rages on)

>>He had to read music, I just realized!  He learned to play piano!!

Well, MAYBE, but I don't think so. Piano isn't very hard to learn,
especially if one already has some musical background (the opposite is
true as well, it isn't so hard learning another instrument if you
already play piano). It certainly helps to be able to read music, but I
would think that anyone who could play the guitar without being able to
read music could continue on and do the same with the piano. And Pete
was a self-taught pianist, right? I'm quite certain I've read that
before. So it's not like he had one of those scary old ladies who always
seem to end up as piano teachers hovering over him saying, "Now play an
F. An F, Peter, an F! THAT'S NOT AN F YOU IMBECILE, IT'S A G! DO IT
AGAIN!" and slamming the piano lid on his fingers if he didn't get it
right. So there really wasn't any incentive for him to learn musical
notation and the like. And, like I said before, 'most all the Who books
state that Pete never learned to read music. Of course, many of these
books were written in the 80's or earlier, so Pete very well may have
gotten someone to teach him how to read music since then (for Tommy on
broadway, etc.). But I think it's safe to say that at no point during
the Who's recording career was Pete capable of reading music. And even
if he can read music now, I don't think he'd need a printed score to
play "Quadrophenia". That would just be silly. We may never know for
sure what it is Pete's got on that music stand (unless someone peeks
over his shoulder), but the suggestions of either chords or lyrics both
sound likely. Or maybe he's just trying to find Waldo...

                             -Yellow "Feeling pugnacious" Ledbetter
This message sent from The Net BBS 608-221-5702.
Telnet address: bbs.madnet.com