Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #310 - various

At 1:53 -0800 12/11/97, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:

>Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 03:28:41 PST
>From: "Lucas Bleicher" <bleicher@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Dig and fire
>
>Could anybody say some words about "Dig" and "Fire"? Were they only
>played during the '89 tour? Is there any studio version? Were they
>officially released in any album?

"Fire" wasn't played live in '89.  "Dig" was played mostly during the encore.

>Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 12:41:41 -0500
>From: "Walter, Michael" <MWalter@fdic.gov>
>Subject: [none]
>
>Am I the only
>one who thought that Levon Helms (sp?) made a great narrator for the
>VH1 Legends show?

Near as I can tell:  yep.

>I just
>thought he was this southern American guy narrating and I kinda
>thought that that was cool to have this seemingly totally detached
>person as narrator, sort of demonstrating the Who's varied audience.

Well they could have done that by hiring someone with a standard American
English accent.  I love The Band, I love Levon, but I was drop-jawed at the
incongruity of this particular choice for narrator.  Plus he kept referring
to "May-hair Bubba".

>To each his own, I guess.

Well, yeah.  At least it was better than no special at all.

>Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 20:48:03 EST
>From: PAULJNORT <PAULJNORT@aol.com>
>Subject: Re:  The Eccentric Fellow
>
>That was Ken Russell,
>He has been criticized at length for his adaptation of Tommy.

Not by me.  It's not flawless, but I always enjoy it.

Alan

"Never never hesitate, communicate, communicate..." --Pete Townshend