Re: PT vs.L & M etc.

>The Beatles were the first major musical talent to start writing their own
>material.  Once they did it everybody did it.  PT admits that.

What about Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry?

>PT thought the greatest rock and roll song he ever wrote (pre-Tommy) was I
>can see for miles.  When it didn't sell he was literally devastated not to
>mention totally pissed.  Every song the Beatles put out in that era out sold
>it by 10 times.  There is a reason for that.

Personally, I think ICSFM sounds phony and forced.  Therefore, it just
doesn;t reach out and grab at my emotions.

>You can love PT as much as you want, everybody reading this is a true fan,
>but to trash what you don't understand in my mind shows ignorance that would
>be better kept to yourself.

Amen!

>I think Frank Sinatra and Elvis made some good songs.  But they were before
>my time and I can't relate to them the way someone older than I am does.

  I am a lowly kid of just 29, but I appreciate a phenomenon when I see
one... The Beatles have a tremendos legacy!  THey recorded 13 albums during
their career together.  On all those 13 albums, there are only 2 or 3 songs
that I cannot stomach.  The others I just cannot help but to get swept away
by their beauty, anger, nostalgia or whatever emotion the boys wanted to
evoke with that song.  The Who have only 12 albums (of original material)
and, about 7 or 8 songs that I cannot stomach...  When I first heard the
Beatles (The Reel Music album for those keeping score) I went through my own
inner phase of "Beatlemania"... It was a revelation, the sounds coming from
my tinny little speakers on my crummy Sears stereo just blew me away... I
was a fan in an instant.  It's very rare that music can make me sit up and
take notice on the first listen, I'm way too studious for that... I want to
study and dissect the sounds before passing judgement... It wasn't that way
for me with the Beatles.  A friend then suggested that I would also like The
Who, so I went out and bought "Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy" and after about
10 listens, I started thinking this is great stuff.  The Who just didn't
immediately grab my attention llike the Beatles had.

Other artiists I've had that reaction to:  John Hiatt, Jethro Tull, Buddy
Holly, Jason & The Scorchers and John Fogerty / CCR.  That's it.

Heath
|                                                 |
|     Go on a horror hayride with Webb Wilder,    |
|     the last of the Full Grown Men, at:         |
| http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/5540 |
|  Punkabilly?  Meet the fathers of alternative   |
|  Country, Jason & The Scorchers, at:            |
|     http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3301     |