Re: Moonie's death...where were you?

>This is a sad subject, but I'm interested in hearing people's stories.
>  To all those fans who are old enough, how did you find out that
>Moonie had died?  Where were you?  How did you react?

I must have heard it on the radio.  I was attending Texas A&M University,
which is located in a rural area of Texas (College Station) no one I knew
gave a monkey's about The Who.  I went out and bought some black RIT dye
and tore a strip off a white T-shirt, dyed the strip black and wore it on
my arm as a mourning band to school the next day.  Only about one person
even asked me what it was about, and they didn't have any particular
reaction when I told them.  That night I burned the strip and buried the
ashes by the trunk of a tree in my front yard.  It was just a private
ceremony for myself, and I actually forgot that I had done it until I
re-remembered it years later.

I wasn't devastated, but I was definitely sad that something that had meant
so much to me had stopped -- at that time I didn't know whether the band
would carry on, or whether they 'd be worth a flip if they did.

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend