Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #211

Hoo boy, lots to respond to in the current digest...

>Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 07:58:12 +0900
>From: Tvc-15 <tvc15@tqci.net>
>Subject: Re: what was that jam in WAY?
>
>Seems that Pete enjoys recycling riffs
>like that...

Sure he does, that's one reason I love his playing.  Dating back to using
bits from "Rael" and "Glow Girl" in "Tommy" -- it's like an in-joke or
welcoming wink for fans.  The first time I noticed it in "real time"
instead of coming across examples in doing research on their back catalog
was when I bought Quad in '73 and caught the "I'm the punk with the
stutter" reference.  I thought it was a totally cool way of acknowledging
and updating "My Generation".  I didn't recognize the bit of "Kids Are
Alright" they played on the Quad album because I didn't know TKAA at the
time, although I did gather that Jimmy was outside a venue listening to a
Who show.  Other examples cropped up at Pete's HOB show last June where
he'd play an intro and effortlessly flow one or two songs into each other
before merging it into the song he meant to play all along.  I definitely
remember one song (but I can't remember which one) sounding like WGFA in
the intro improv.  And in the last few Quad shows the intro to Substitute
contained bits from Rough Boys.  He also introduced the now-frequent bluesy
reading of WAY at the Carnegie Hall show in '94; at the time, no one knew
what it was going to turn into.

>Date: Wed, 20 Aug 97 15:41:00 EDT
>From: "Kipp, David G." <KIPPD@PCMAIL01.SYSTEMS.GEC.COM>
>Subject: RE: Great CD (Roger's)
>
>Of all places, he showed up on the
>Regis and Kathie Lee show.But, after the interview, Kathie Lee and Roger
>walk over to the
>side and began to  lip-synch a song from that album. The title of the song
>isn't important, but I was on the floor vomiting.  Did anyone see this
>horror?

I just saw a tape of it, and what I saw was Kathie Lee standing in with the
auxiliary vocalists with Rogerand the band doing "Days of Light".  They
weren't lip-synching.  She actually sounded pretty good, but in the middle
of the song I guess she thought she wasn't getting enough camera time or
something and she sashayed over to Roger and draped a long scarf around his
neck, then pulled it off.  This is WHILE HE'S SINGING...I involuntarily
yelled "LEAVE HIM ALONE".  Then afterward there was a brief interview where
Roger talked honestly about maintaining a family life with his wife and
children, eliciting applause from the audience a tthe end.  Is this what
you  saw?  He didn't appear on Regis and Kathie Lee more than once, did he?

>Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:09:48 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Jennifer Lee Davies <jen@nt.net>
>Subject: fingernails - a sad tale for every lady guitar player
>
>        The fingertips of my left hand just can't hold the strings properly
>unless I cut my nails down pretty far. <sigh> So, if you hear any agonized
>cries tonight, that would be me as I chop my nails down.

Courage, dear.  You're acquiring the "guitarist's cut" -- short on the left
hand, fairly long on the right (the better to pick with).  Think of it as
insignia of honor.

>Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 22:25:01 -0400
>From: "KATHLEEN L. PASQUALE" <KLPasquale@compuserve.com>
>Subject: a mike you-know-where
>
>Alan wrote:
>>I was sorry to see the last show, but at least I had a chuckle when Roger
>>managed to hit himself in the nuts with the mike :-D.
>
>I love Roger but I'm with Alan it was pretty funny.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I was just going to ask whether anyone else
could confirm what I thought I saw.  He was doing one of those horizontal
swings where the mike cord wraps around his body 2-3 times, then when the
mike hits him he gives it a little <bump> to start it unwinding.  This time
it smacked him pretty good, not right on the money, but close enough to
make him bend over.  To his credit, he recovered quickly and if I hadn't
been watching at that crucial second I wouldn't have known it.  But I was
pretty sure that at least Roger and I knew it happened...:-)

On another subject, thanks to John Graham and Bernd for pointing out to me
that there were other indoor venues besides Tampa.  Mea culpa.

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend